Carrick, "the rock", is a small parish south of Limavady on the Dungiven road. It was created in 1846 as a perpetual curacy out of the parishes of Balteagh, Bovevagh and Tamlaghtfinlagan. The church which is pleasantly situated on the banks of the River Roe amongst trees, is a beautiful but simple little building. It was built in 1846, and consecrated on 25th May 1847.
The church is entered through a west porch which has two small windows. Inside, the nave is a four bay hall, with gabled transepts at each side of the west end, which do not protrude from the walls. Each window has Y tracery and clear, diamond paned glass. The east window has three lights and tracery. It depicts an angel with other figures. It commemorates those who fell in The Great War.
The pulpit is on the north side, the lectern is in the centre, and the prayer desk is on the right. The Holy Table came from St Elizabeth's Church, Dundonald, Belfast. The vestry room is to the right of the chancel.
On the west wall, a monument records the restoration of the church in 1907 during the incumbency of the Rev. George Moriarty, Rector, 1889 to 1907, and a brass plaque records the incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Heaslett, Rector, 1946-1977. On the north wall, there is a memorial to the Rev.Richard Benson, Rector, 1908 to 1923, and to his wife. 1st Lt. William John Campbell, 5th Fusiliers, who died in 1843, in whose memory the church was endowed, is commemorated, as is George Williams who died in 1972. On the south wall, Bernard and Ellen McIlmoyle are commemorated.
|Strange Church notice board for a number of reasons.|